History of Khalsa Jatha Gurdwara
OUR HISTORY 1908
The Khalsa Jatha, British Isles, London was formed in the year 1908, to promote religious and social activities among the Sikhs who had settled in the UK. Later in the same year it was affiliated to the Chief Khalsa Diwan, Amritsar.
In 1911 the Jatha acquired a house in Putney (South London) for a period of 2 years. The opening ceremony was performed by Maharaja Bhupindra Singh of Patiala. In 1913 the Jatha bought the lease of 79 Sinclair Road, Shepherd Bush, London. Where the Jatha remained for 63 years. From 1931 to 1950 the Khalsa Jatha made good serving the still small Sikh community. In 1953 weekly diwans started and in 1954 a full time Granthi was employed.
The gurdwara got refurbished in 2020.
As funds were raised, the Jatha purchased a building known as Norland Castle, Queensdale Road, London, in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea and in 1969 the Jatha moved into the building where the Gurdwara now stands. The domes were added in the early 1990's while a further programme of refurbishment began in 2000.
A more detailed account of the history of the Khalsa Jatha can be obtained in a book titled "Khalsa Jatha British Isles 1908 - 2008" by Peter Bance, Gurpreet Singh Anand and Sukhbinder Singh Paul. A copy can be obtained at the Gurdwara Sahib or the usual on-line retailers